eXTReMe Tracker

Sunday, August 05, 2007

A-Life of Drink

Having just learned that Stalker's 'A-Life' system (the AI routine whereby NPCs would act with intelligent, situationally-concious autonomy within the Zone, behaving like this without the need for a player to trigger their actions or to even be present during their performance) was not simplified, as I'd assumed, but rather deactivated until the player had completed the main objectives in an area ... well, I'm not exactly sure what to think. I desperately wanted to be impressed by Stalker, yet I was dismayed after years of hype by GDC's seeming deviation from their ambitious mantra, so much so that I need a drink. Now I discover that the Ukrainian developer's unstable AI script lies dormant in the sarcophagus of a mutated oddity in the vast vault of gaming. I'm intoxicated with joy because the script was unleashed upon the public, yet I won't forget my troubles for long: GDC's bartenders have poured me a weak substitute for the shot of pure meths I'd hoped to ingest. As I stumble back to my hovel, half-unconscious, I dream to myself of how good it would have been for GDC to include a sandbox 'Zone Experience Mode' whereby I could discover for myself just how competently the A-Life system is able to screw up the plot. I trip over and a dog urinates on my shoe. I think to myself, 'nice programming'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Как говорилось на Seexi.net Раньше играла на виолончели, пела, сольфеджио буквально каждый день на ура было и все буквально каждый день говорили, что у меня великолепный слух. В вузе у нас есть фонетика, и она мне не дается вообще, на первый взгляд посторонние ошибки слышу , свои - нет, меня без конца исправляют. Почему так? Способность к языку буквально каждый день была, но произношение у меня ужасно, про акцент вообще не говорю, мне хоть бы произношение наладить