eXTReMe Tracker

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I can't forget Auto Assault

NCsoft's profits have dropped a staggering 43% in 2006 for reasons worthy of celebration. The truth lies in the figures. Sales remain on par with 2005, with the original Lineage continuing to prove its superb appeal amongst Asian gamers - reinforced by NCsoft's other heavy-hitters Guild Wars and City of Heroes. So why the economic slump? Essentially, NCsoft have spent big in 2006 in order to maintain dominance for the foreseeable future - a sublime sacrifice to make, especially considering the treats we gamers may enjoy this year - Tabla Rasa, Exteel, Dungeon Runners and the next Guild Wars expansion excite my WASD keys to varying degrees of greatness. Having said that, I enjoyed Auto Assault (I enjoyed its concept, at least) but the memories of a world torn asunder by NCsoft's centralisation fetishists still haunt me; I simply cannot bare to observe such potential totally wasted once more in 2007. Please, NCsoft, don't loose your creations onto the internet until you're certain people will pay money to enjoy playing your games.

No comments: