eXTReMe Tracker

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Keeping Up Appearances

I have recently gone through the shenanigans and jiggery-pokery that goes with upgrading my computer and it got me to thinking about how important graphics are to computer games. Sure it would be nice if all developers had the budget to make every release as pleasing to the eye as Oblivion or Half-Life 2 but it ain't gonna happen. It made me wonder where you would draw the line if you could... If the next big release you were looking forward to got delayed by a few days to fix a couple of graphical glitches you'd be OK, right? What if it was the release was pushed back by a week or two but they would be able to throw in next-gen particle effects on the explosions - pushing their luck? What then if the release was pushed back a year to rebuild the game in a more up-to-date engine? Pissed yet? What if it wasn't a time issue? Would you still buy Half-Life 2 if the Physics Gun was replaced by some new textures and better water reflections? I know where I would draw the line but how about you? Also have I used too many rhetorical questions? Have I?

2 comments:

DuBBle said...

Can you have too many rhetorical questions? I'd draw the line when a developing studio decides it's best to totally scrap and remake the engine ala Prey, Stalker and most notably Duke Nukem Never. Although Prey rather forces me to eat my words on this issue because I thought it was a darn fine game, I think gamers are capable of judging a game on its merits other than uber 'splodes.

Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a little for anny high quality aarticles
or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately
stumbled upon thiks website. Reading this info So i'm glad
to convey that I have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I discovered jusst what I needed.
I most indisputably will make sure to don?t omit this site and give it a
look onn a continuing basis.

Take a look aat my page - หนังโป๊