eXTReMe Tracker

Monday, August 28, 2006

[Insert Mel Gibson Quote Here]

Just a quickie.

I'm reading Dead Air by Iain Banks, I'm immersed, and yet when I pull myself out of this other world created by a cooperation between Banks' keyboard and mind I feel a distinct temporal shift. A rationalising, sympathetic glimpse into the renaissance. The advent of the printing press struck fear into the hearts of the conservative elite; the literate masses were to be granted a gift, a new degree of freedom - intellectual stimulation.

The novel. The home telephone. The television set. The video game. The internet. An evolution which marks a human desire for intellectual stimulation. When an aspect of freedom is granted to a society, the masses want more. The elite are put onto the defensive, they own the high ground, the liberties. The masses do what they do best. The elites are flanked.

The battle commenced with the Gutenberg Bible and is far from over. I'll see you on the field.

No comments: